The European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR) in Berlin, Germany, is urgently looking for a Spanish-speaking Legal Trainee for a Gender and Human Rights Project, to start in October or as soon as possible. Minimum duration of the internship is 3 months. The deadline to apply is 15 September 2014. From ECCHR:
The Legal Training Program offers a position to aspiring human rights defenders from around the world with a background in law or other relevant fields such as social and political sciences. Participants receive specially tailored, interactive training in strategic litigation within ECCHR’s area on gender and human rights and international criminal law. They also have the opportunity to take part in a range of other educational and cultural activities within the ECCHR Education Program.
The Education Program offers:
- up to 10 office spaces on site;
- legal/factual research and case work on International Criminal Law and Gender;
- integration in our day-to-day work, including project-related communication and administration (e.g. drafting position papers and press releases and/or short translations, co-organization of project-related events);
- individual supervision by experienced lawyers;
- teamwork and weekly roundtable discussions with education staff and all program participants;
- cultural events such as the Human Rights Cinema.
What we expect
Education: Applicants should have at least a first university degree and above-average qualifications in law or another relevant subject. Knowledge: All applicants should have a general understanding of human rights law and prior experience in the NGO sector. Moreover, you should have the following specific background knowledge: excellent understanding of international and national human rights and international criminal law frameworks and competence to identify and analyze gender-specific and discriminative dimensions of situations, policies as well as national and international human rights frameworks. Prior experience regarding Latin America will be an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English AND Spanish (spoken and written) is required; knowledge of German is desired but not a must.
Minimum duration of the placement: three months, ideally more; preferably full-time
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, please submit the following documents – without coversheet – per email (if possible, in separate pdf documents) UNTIL 15 SEPTEMBER 2014:
1) ECCHR application form (doc)
2) ECCHR Gender and Human Rights questionnaire (pdf)
3) Motivation letter
Please do not attach any other supporting documents such as letters of recommendation or certificates. We may ask you to provide this information at a later stage.
Send your application to: email@example.com. Please note that ECCHR is not in a position to offer remuneration to participants of the Legal Training Program. You will receive a confirmation of receipt email from us and can expect a reply within one week after we acknowledged receipt.